bryantke

bryantke

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

Divergent (Divergent Series #1)

Divergent (Divergent Series #1) - Warning: Read this on a day off. You won't want to put it down.Divergent had all the usual qualities of a dystopian while still giving us a unique and engaging story. Roth did a wonderful, wonderful job with the world-building and anyone who knows anything about Chicago will easily be able to picture this new society and how it has changed. The only thing I could have wished for is some more background on the factions: the hows and whys. The writing and the descriptions are beautiful. This one is definitely action-packed and suspenseful with very little lag time.I like the main character, Tris. However, she just had something missing. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I couldn't fully connect with her. She didn't become one of my unforgettable book heroines.Not only did I not connect with the main character, but I didn't connect with any of the other ones either. I cared what happened to Tris and Four but I didn't find myself caring about any of the others. Out of all the characters, Four turned out to be my favorite.I give Divergent a four out of five. The writing was amazing and the actual events that take place are intense and intriguing. I was super absorbed in every taking place.The plot alone would earn a five, hands down. The only reason it loses a point is my lack of connection to the characters. (Then again, I just came off of reading the entire Vampire Academy series. Six books to develop a bond to the characters.That could be swaying my opinion.) If you are a fan of The Hunger Games or Delirium, I definitely recommend this one. Though, I don't think it's fair to compare any of them to each other too deeply. They all have their strong and unique elements.I would have gone deeper, but I think anyone reading this for the first time should go in not knowing the plot points too well. It's a wonderful experience just letting the twists, turns, and little surprises happen.