bryantke

bryantke

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)

If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) - Gayle Forman Mia is a teenage girl with the kind of life most teenage girls dream of: "cool" parents, an amazing, rock star boyfriend, and she is a talented musician waiting to hear if she will be accepted to Juiliard after high school. Then, one fateful morning, Mia's world is turned upside in seconds.From here on out, told from Mia's point-of-view, switching from the present to flashbacks, she must decide whether to continue on with that life, changes and all, or continue on to whatever happens after life.This book truly made me think about what I would do in the same situation. It also made me change my opinion quite a few times as it went on through different points. The author had a great way of making me feel involved in the story and I honestly couldn't guess what she was going to choose until the very end.However, the story was just a little too short for there to be any real character development. They were all too flat for me to ever really get to feel anything for any of them, even Mia. It's a thought provoking story, but not really a tearjerker. I was interested enough to know what she would choose, but I didn't find myself pulling for her one way or the other.Overall, it was an enertaining, rainy day, type of read with good points on what a "family" really is and how sometimes you need to lose some things to clearly see every thing else you do have.