bryantke

bryantke

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

Across the Universe

Across the Universe - Beth Revis You can also see this review at Afternoon Book PartyI fell so in love with this story.Let me first say that this was my first venture in anything remotely science fiction. Seeing this label made me hesitant to pick up this book because I wasn't sure if I'd be into the genre or not. As it turns out, Across the Universe is one of my favorite reads so far this year.This story had me going, 'What the heck is happening?!" the whole time, but in a seriously good way, not in the bad, lost kind of way. For a person not used to science fiction, this had so many surprises and twists and interesting details. It's also an extremely quick read. I got through it in just a few hours; a definite page turner. I was so into this book and something was always happening or leading up to something else making it was extremely difficult to put down without reading one more chapter, then one more, then one more...Of course, great writing and great characters. The author uses dual-perspective alternating between Amy, a "technical" new-comer to the ship and Elder, who grew up on the ship. This worked excellently giving different views about the things going on allowing the reader to learn so much more. I loved the characters that were meant to be loved and hated the ones meant to be hated. It was interesting going on Amy's journey as she wakes up in an entirely different world.I definitely look forward to reading the second book in the series.