bryantke

bryantke

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)

Fifty Shades of Grey - E.L. James Honestly, I don't get what all the hype was about. I didn't find this significantly bad, but I didn't find it significantly good either. It was just an average three-four star book. Nothing too memorable, that's for sure, but I was pretty interested in Ana/Grey's overall story together; Enough to read the sequels. I can tell you one thing though: it wasn't anything at all like I expected. I expected to at least get a little shocked, but seriously, you can turn on the TV and see way more graphic stuff then anything represented here.As for the writing... well, not my favorite author but I've definitely read worse writing. Way worse. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the overall tone/dialogue just wasn't quite right for a story set in an American city with American characters. It was way for reminiscent on David Nicholls British-set "One Day" then any American-set book. And to make it perfectly clear right now: I am in NO WAY comparing the two stories! Just the word-usage/ tone. So no one freak out on me please. (:Anyway, I'm just left wondering why all the hype over this. I didn't find anything special about it in either a good or bad way. If only some of the truly special, fantastic books got so much hype.