bryantke

bryantke

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré

ON THE JELLICOE ROAD

On the Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchetta For the first little bit of this book I didn't know what the hell was going on. Fortunately, I was aware of this from other reviews and decided to push on. I am so glad I did because Jellicoe Road has earned its spot as one of my favorite books ever. By the time things all began to clear up and click, I couldn't set this book down. I was up until 3am finishing it. I really am shocked by how much I ended up loving this story.Jellicoe Road alternates between two different storylines: the main one that includes our main character, Taylor, and her peers/friends and a secondary one where we see bits and pieces of a manuscript that Hannah is working on. I really enjoyed both, but honestly, I couldn't get enough of the manuscript. The characters in it really reached out and made me connect with them from the beginning. I didn't begin to connect with Taylor and co. until about half-way through. But when I did, I loved all of them very much, too.As for Melina Marchetta's writing: absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to dive into more of her books! I can't believe how deeply this story touched me. It's one of those books that I'm going to have a hard time picking up another too soon, because I know it probably won't reach the level Jellicoe Road did. It's one of those books where I was so disappointed it was over because I really, really wanted more. I wasn't ready for these characters to be gone yet. Jellicoe Road is definitely one of those books that I will go back and re-read again, probably a few times.This is a hard reviews to write, just because I don't want to give too much away, which is probably pretty easy to do. If you've been wanting to read this one for awhile and haven't yet, I urge you to clear your schedule for a day and just do it. The biggest thing I can say is this: if you're not super into it at first don't.give.up. Jellicoe Road is worth the finish.